Tuesday, March 3, 2009

When the husband is away....

... The wife redecorates.

For the last eight days the husband has been in Las Vegas (conference) and Vail (skiing with the buddies.) Poor guy. His line of work is tough.

For the last eight days the wife has been at home, with two small boys, and no evening relief. She's not complaining though.


The day Grant left, any idea I had about cooking went right out the window. I haven't lifted a pan since. Needless to say the boys and I have been doing and lot of microwaving and drive-through-ing. It's been amazing.

The day after Grant left, I received my Girl Scout Cookies. Grant knows nothing of this order, so I went ahead and ate all five boxes. I feel it's a fair trade. He got to frolic in the snow, I got to lay on the couch with Thin Mints. Again, I am not complaining.

So that covers Day 1 and Day 2. Days 3-7 include involve, me, and hammer, new things for our walls in our hallway, rearranging the mantel downstairs, jalapeno green paint in the kitchen, new wall decor in the master bath, and, well, that's about it. I hope he's not mad. I never mentioned any of this to him when we talked on the phone. My theory is that Surprises are fun, and This is a gift... the gift of home beautification. Isn't that what every man really wants? But really, I am just afraid I am going to get in trouble. We'll find out.

Anyway, normally when Grant is gone this long, I run away to my parents... for a couple of reasons, I guess. 1. They help with the boys, so I can just lay around and/or see a friend or two. 2. I get bored and lonely without old ball and chain.

Obviously I didn't go there this time. Here's why. Guess who had jury duty that week. Now again, I can't really complain because I didn't actually have to go in. But I did have to be ready to go in just in case. That meant having a back up plan for who would watch the boys, as well as having no plans for myself. So each evening I call my little number, and listen to a little message that says "There are no trials scheduled for tomorrow, so even though you have your schedule cleared, you have to sit at home and watch TV and rearrange furniture." It's weird that they know me so well. Anyway, we also didn't leave town because I didn't want Jagger to miss any school (I pay good money for those 3 hours a day,) and on the weekend, Uncle Justin and Aunt Erin were up here for a visit, and we wanted to see them. So we actually had a little something to look forward to, which was nice for a change.

The time without Daddy went by fast, we enjoyed some extra nice weather, spent a few evenings with Grandma and Papa C, as well as Justin and Erin. We had a couple play-dates, started swimming lessons (not me, I already know how, thank you. Just Jagger,) watched our awesome Jayhawks cream the Tigers, stayed up late, watched a lot of movies, and other fun things like that. We sure did miss him though.

Today is Day 8. Just 3 hours and and 35 minutes more without him... not that I am counting or anything.


  1. We made the blog! :) I still want to see pictures of this fantastic green wall...

  2. So what happened? Did he like the changes?


I love hearing from you! Thanks!