Thursday, June 18, 2009

Are you Pregnant????

Let's talk about when it is okay to ask a woman if she is pregnant. I'll give you a hint about where I am going with this.... it's usually not okay to ask.
This topic is near and dear to my heart because I have been asked if I was pregnant when I most definitely was not. Granted, it was sometime after I had Cash, but not right after, so it was still offensive. I'm over that though, so I look pregnant sometimes, deal with it.... Anyway, I am more hyped up about this topic because recently I overheard the same thing happen to another woman.
Here's the scene:
In a public restroom while washing hands:
Woman A: Oh, what a cute little baby bump. How far along are you?
Woman B: Oh no, I am not pregnant. (She was smiling and shaking her head, but I knew she was crying inside)

HELLO? Woman A, what the heck were you thinking? First of all, don't talk to strangers. Second, now poor Woman B, whose only sin was eating too many french fries at lunch, will now have an eating disorder and burn the outfit she wore that day. I could have slapped Woman A. But instead, I just left the restroom like I hadn't heard a thing.
So, I have been thinking about it, and I have come up a few times when it is okay to ask a woman if she is pregnant:

1. If you already know she is pregnant.
2. If she is in labor.
3. If she is your best friend and is not drinking the glass of wine in front of her.
4. If she is the mom in the Duggar family.
5. If she is wearing a shirt like this.



Otherwise... No matter how pregnant a woman may look, if you feel the temptation to ask, don't!

Instead do this... Just quietly in your head think "Oh, she should not be wearing that." Problem solved. Everyone's happy.

1 comment:

  1. Uh...yeah. I have no idea why someone would ever ask YOU why you were pregnant but I got asked this question just a month ago. I think I told you. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks!